What is it about?

The rollercoaster adventures of parenting three kids, dealing with disability and mental health - and discussing disability discrimination and how to tackle it.

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Wildlife Carer

Some people have been shaking their head at me.

Not busy enough yet? they ask. Want to become a saint? Can't get enough of being a carer?

Well, bollocks to that.

When I first came to Australia hubby and I toured around for some months. Like most new visitors I was amazed with the native wildlife - how different it was, and how much of it there was around. And I vividly remember my first roadside sign that asked people to call a certain phone number to report injured local wildlife. Hubby explained to me that if you hit a kangaroo with your car, you should go and check the animal - including its pouch for joeys. There were people out there that would take care of the animals and nurse them - or rear them in the case of babies - until they were ready for release again. In Alice Springs we ran into a lady that carried a baby kangaroo with her in an old tea cosy and fed it every few hours. What a great idea, I thought. I would like to do that!

So two weekends ago, I did the basic training course. And now I am a registered Wildlife carer for Sydney Wildlife this new journey on my new blog:

http://wildliferescuestories.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, well done for that - my friend from School has just had a baby and she also works with british wildlife, so I know how rewarding she finds it, and I bet you're in for some good times!

I'm going to be cheeky and ask for some help.
My Wife and I are expecting our first child, and while I'm VERY excited, I'm also VERY scared (I don't know the first thing about kids)!

I've been scouting reound the 'net to see what tips and tricks I can find.

I'm inviting all readers of this site could help me out by giving their best tips to me? I'm going to compile it into a collection for the best tips for new dads.

Please go here to give me your tip: http://www.melandtony.com/newdad/
it will take no more than 20 seconds but will help me immensely!

thanks.