What is it about?

The rollercoaster adventures of parenting three kids, dealing with disability and mental health - and discussing disability discrimination and how to tackle it.

Wednesday 20 June 2007

Trolley Dolly

Parents of "normal" kids might not quite get my elation, but my daily life has recently been revolutionised. Boo Boo is, at now 14 month, still not sitting independently. It's a balance thing, her trunk control is just not quite up to it. But here is the revolutionary thing - she can now sit up when holding on. This has made shopping soooo much easier. You know that little seat in the front of a shopping trolley - she can now sit in that as long as she holds on. No more awkward dancing with a double set of wheels (a pram and a shopping trolley) that knocks half the other shoppers over. Just a simple shop, almost like a "normal" mother and baby, mum pushing the trolley, baby in the front. On top of that, she absolutely loves the ride, you should see the grin on her face. And the whole (supermarket) word has opened up, she can now see the things and buy and even touch and hold them. So much better than sitting in a pram staring at people's knees. Sometimes, it's the simple things in life...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know when I commenced my "Mr Mum" duties a few months ago one of the things I always dreaded was doing the shopping.. I didnt want to put R. in the shopping trolley as I just didnt feel safe about it.. and there is no way in the world that I would even attempted the shopping trolley and Pram routine.. how do you do that? I arm to control each? No way! Its hard enough with one dare I say it - 'normal'.. sometimes I look at how you manage to 'do it' and wonder how I even manage to get out of bed in the mornings.